It is National Back Care Awareness Week (2nd – 6th October 2017) and here at Newcastle Sports Injury Clinic our team of therapists are well versed in diagnosing and treating common and less common back aches, pains and injuries.
Over the course of the week we will be sharing tips and advice on some of the causes, prevention and treatment of back pain.
BackCare.org, the National Back Pain Association, has been educating the public throughout the UK and wider afield in ways of preventing and alleviating back pain for almost 50 years.
They recommend the following for a healthy back:
- Exercise your back regularly: walking, cycling, swimming
- Try to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle
- Learn to lift heavy objects using the correct lifting technique. Always bend your knees and hips, not your back
- Carry larger loads in a comfortable rucksack using both shoulder straps, and avoid sling bags
- Maintain a good posture; avoid slumping in your chair, hunching over a desk, or walking with your shoulders hunched
- Try to take a short break – every 30 minutes – from sitting
- Quit smoking. Smoking can reduce the blood supply to discs between the vertebrae, and this could lead to disc degeneration
- Endeavour to lose any excess weight
- Check that your bed provides the correct support and comfort for your weight and build, not just firmness
- Learn relaxation techniques to help manage stress. Stress is a major cause of back pain
If you’re not sure of what is causing your pain, or need some help getting over it, one of our experienced team of Physiotherapists and Osteopath will be able to offer advice, support and treatment, contact the clinic on 0191 2330500 to arrange an appointment.