An article published by The College of Podiatry identifies and helps understand how Podiatrists can play a highly influential role in keeping children active. It explains how there is a problem with musculoskeletal pain amongst children highlighting the scale of the issue, which is as follows:
- 1 in 4 children experience musculoskeletal pain.
- Foot pain is the most common musculoskeletal problem in ages 10-13 years.
- Heel pain accounts for 30% of visits to sport medicine clinics.
- Persistent musculoskeletal pain can lead to chronic pain in childhood and adulthood
- The annual mean costs are estimated to be £8,000 per adolescent experiencing chronic pain.
- Musculoskeletal pain limits activity levels in a quarter of patients leading to an increase in weight
- Type 2 diabetes is increasing in children and adolescents with considerable long-term health consequences.
It is quite clear to see that there is an ongoing issue amongst children and it is something that needs to be addressed. The article explains how paediatric podiatrists obtain the necessary skills to successfully manage children facing these problems and gaining access to treatment can ensure effective rehabilitation strategies and coping mechanisms to help children maintain an active lifestyle.
Paediatric podiatrists are there to focus on what is important to the child and their family. To ensure they meet this, they will evaluate a variety of aspects such as how the condition interacts with the body’s form and function and therefore in turn how this influences movement and positioning.
The podiatrist will then work to the child’s strength, abilities and preferences. Working through a range of activities and exercises as well as providing advice for correct footwear and different training strategies. It is suggested and recommended that timely access is ensured so that children can get the right care at the right time.
If you wish to read further on The College of Podiatry’s article and a patient case study, simply click HERE.
At Newcastle Sports Injury Clinic, we provide Podiatry services within our Newcastle city centre clinic, Jesmond clinic and through our partnership with local shoe and appliance makers, Bolton Bros Ltd. To book an appointment either BOOK ONLINE or call us on 0191 233 0500.
To read more about our partnership with Bolton Bros Ltd, click HERE.